My Experience Meeting CM Punk and Other Famous Wrestlers
There will be no Smackdown review this week. Sorry. I didn’t even watch all of Smackdown. Yesterday, I spent almost all day at the Wizard World Convention in Chicago. A bunch of professional wrestlers were there on Saturday and the biggest name was the WWE Champion CM Punk. The main reason I attended the convention was to meet CM Punk so I purchased a photo op with him.
When I got to the convention, I walked around for a little bit and then I got in line for the photo about one hour early. I was non-VIP so I had to wait for all of the VIP people to go first. Two of those people were Frank The Clown (@FrankWWEClown) and the Overexcited Brock Lesnar Guy (@WWEMarkOutMan). I talked to them for a little bit and I shook Frank The Clown’s hand. They are both from the Chicago area and it was nice to meet them for the first time. There is a bald, bearded fan with glasses who sits ringside at a lot of WWE events with what looks to be his wife and son. I’m not sure if anyone else has noticed them, but I see them sitting ringside a lot including RAW 1000. Well, they were there too, but I didn’t get a chance to meet them and ask them how they get the best seats at several RAW and Pay-Per-View events. Many fans that were in line for Punk wore CM Punk shirts, but I also saw one guy dressed like the Undertaker and another person dressed like Goldust. A lot of people for in line for the CM Punk photo op. After two hours of waiting in line, I got to meet Punk. He shook my hand and I think he said “How are you doing?” or something like that. My meeting with Punk lasted only about 15 seconds at the most, but it was nice to finally meet CM Punk and get a brief look at the WWE Championship up close.
After meeting CM Punk, I went to see the other wrestlers at the convention. I saw Lita, Melina, Maryse, the Bella Twins, John Morrison, Booker T, and Kevin Nash. Booker T was wearing a suit and glasses. He was dressed just like he does as the new General Manager of Smackdown. Kevin Nash was wearing a black NWO shirt I think. Nash walked right past me and I think he’s the tallest person I have ever seen. I researched Nash’s height and it said he is 6 foot 9 inches. I disagree with that. I knew a guy who is 6-9 and I think Nash is taller than that. While I was at the convention, I talked to a couple wrestling fans and they had interesting things to say. One guy said he met Rey Mysterio at a Hooters after a WWE event and he said Rey was a dick. Another guy said he talked to Lita at the convention. According to him, Lita told him that the plan was for her to only cut a promo at RAW 1000, but she asked to do some wrestling moves in the ring. If the original plans didn’t change at Lita’s request, fans wouldn’t have seen Lita hit Heath Slater with the Twist of Fate and a moonsault.
At the end of the day, I went to CM Punk’s Q&A session. It started a little bit late because Punk’s autograph session hadn’t ended yet. I think Punk refused to leave his autograph table until everyone in line got an autograph. Punk answered a lot of questions at his panel. Here are many of the things he said:
- CM Punk said his match against Daniel Bryan at Over The Limit was probably his favorite match of 2012.
- Someone asked Punk what he thought about facing Bryan in a submission match and Punk said he would love for that to happen.
- On the Kevin Nash controversy about smaller wrestlers winning the title: Punk said that it is Nash’s opinion and you can’t hate someone’s opinion just because you don’t agree with it.
- On JTG’s twitter rant: CM Punk said if JTG had a problem with something, he should have talked to Vince McMahon or someone backstage instead of ranting about it on Twitter. Punk said that although his original pipebomb promo was a public rant just like JTG, everything Punk said during the promo were the same things he had been saying to Vince for months.
- Someone asked Punk if he still feels the same way about the things he said in his original pipebomb promo a year ago and Punk said it’s different now because he is a lot less pissed off than he was back then.
- Punk was asked if he would rather face The Rock or John Cena at WrestleMania, and Punk said he wants to face The Rock so he could try to have a better match with Rock than Cena did and then be able to tell Cena that Punk’s match was better. Punk made it sound like Rock and Cena are the top two possible opponents for WrestleMania next year.
- CM Punk said it’s unlikely he will face Stone Cold anytime soon because Stone Cold just had knee surgery. Punk said the match will only happen if Stone Cold wants it to happen.
- CM Punk talked about how Eddie Guerrero offered to help CM Punk and Punk would talk to Eddie many times.
- CM Punk revealed that his new DVD will be shown to the public at a theater in Chicago two days before it is released. Punk said that one of the extras on the DVD is Kofi Kingston and him playing a Street Fighter video game and Punk said it’s funny.
- CM Punk said he doesn’t really know if Colt Cabana wants to be in the WWE because when they talk to each other, they don’t talk about wrestling.
- CM Punk said that he was originally going to get the lead role in The Marine 3. He would have worked on WWE TV shows and have been off house shows, but the shooting schedule conflicted with the WWE European tour. Punk said that the role went to someone in the WWE that fans wouldn’t care so much if he was gone for a little bit. Punk was referring to The Miz. [Tony: I saw a video of the Q&A and according to the video, CM Punk was referring to the sequel to "12 Rounds" and not "The Marine 3". Punk said the role went to somebody the WWE could afford to lose. Randy Orton will star in "12 Rounds: Reloaded".]
- Punk was asked if he could work with anyone, who would it be and Punk said Samoa Joe. Punk was also asked which wrestler from an independent company he would like to see in the WWE. Punk said Samoa Joe again. The fan said that Samoa Joe works for TNA and Punk said something like, “I know. You said indy didn’t you?”
- Someone asked when we would see Punk perform the Pepsi Plunge again and Punk said that it isn’t used because he doesn’t think he needs to use it. Punk said the move isn’t banned and no one has told him he can’t use that move.
- The Overexcited Brock Lesnar Fan was in line to ask a question and before his question, Punk invited him to the stage. Punk said something like, “Does anyone know who this is? It’s the Brock Lesnar Guy!” Punk talked about that the guy is shown in every Lesnar video package because of when he copied Lesnar’s entrance thing when Lesnar returned on RAW in April. Punk made the fan do the same thing he did on RAW. I think Punk said that the guys in the back enjoy seeing it whenever it is replayed.
- CM Punk talked about retiring from wrestling. He said that he will be 34 in a few months and that is too old to be able to perform at a high level in professional wrestling. Punk said he won’t be another HHH or Undertaker. Those two guys are currently older than 40 and still performing in the ring. Punk said when he does retire, he will leave the wrestling business for at least two years. I think he said if he does return to wrestling, he won’t make a return to the ring. His retirement will not be like a Terry Funk retirement. Punk said he feels good now and he wants to stay healthy after he is retired. Punk said he has had one surgery and he never wants another surgery ever again. Punk said that he doesn’t want to say when he might retire because the answer would “depress the hell” out of everyone.
- CM Punk said he is running out of goals to accomplish and wants to retire soon because he has never had a break. I think Punk said that other than a two month break after he fractured his skull, he has never taken a break since 1997. Punk mentioned that he was supposed to get a break after Money in the Bank 2011, but that didn’t happen.
- CM Punk said “CM” means whatever fans want it to mean.
- CM Punk was asked what was his biggest challenge becoming a WWE Superstar. Punk said, “I think the challenge was becoming a WWE Superstar and there was just so much that was challenging about it. I don’t really know what the hardest thing was.”
- CM Punk talked about a new design for the WWE Championship title. I think he said it’s coming soon and it will be something he helped create. He teased that it could happen at SummerSlam or maybe at the next Pay-Per-View after SummerSlam which is in Boston, John Cena’s hometown.
- CM Punk said Tout and Twitter are the future of the WWE so get used to it. Punk said he thinks it is good for the WWE, but he doesn’t want to see Tout on RAW every ten minutes.
- CM Punk said WrestleMania is going to cities that give WWE the most money and he compared the process to cities bidding for the Olympics.
- CM Punk said he doesn’t like getting hit with weapons, especially Kendo Sticks. Punk said Kendo Sticks are very painful and told the fans not to hit people with Kendo Sticks.
- Punk was asked what is his favorite fighting video game and he said he likes Mortal Kombat.
- Slapshot is Punk’s favorite movie.
- CM Punk was asked about the possibility of a CM Punk comic book and Punk said he doesn’t want to see it. Punk did say that he might be currently working on creating a comic book.
- Punk was asked about his favorite Batman villain and he said it is probably The Joker. Punk was also asked about which fictional character he would like to wrestle and Punk said he would fight Catwoman.
CM Punk’s Q&A session was only supposed to be from 6:00 to 6:30. He talked for about one hour and 30 minutes because Punk said he didn’t have a plane to catch and he could stay as long as people wanted him to stay. One of the people in attendance told Punk that her kids are fans and now she is a fan too. I enjoyed listening to CM Punk and he didn’t stop until he answered every question. His Q&A session ended about 30 minutes after the convention ended. I had to leave for a few minutes so I could pick up my photo because if I waited, they would not have let me back into the convention. CM Punk impressed me so much. He was very friendly to everyone and he made sure no one left disappointed. I was worried that my opinion of CM Punk would change after meeting him, but he deserves to call himself the “Best in the World”. He was my favorite WWE Superstar before I met him and he is still my favorite WWE Superstar right now.
I have a few photos from the event. Click HERE to view them.
[Ray: This article made HUGE headlines on the following top pro wrestling sites. If you came across it on any other sites, drop them below in comments box.]